Thursday, April 26, 2012

ALL ABOUT EXPRESSION

Expressing suggestion
Agreeing and dissagreeing
-   I’d like to suggest that we break for lunch now.
-   Let’s not stay too long. I’m feeling rather tired.
-   What about going for a swim?
-   I don’t think it’s worth waiting here for her.
-   You’d better hurry up or you’ll be late.
-   If I were you, I would accept his offer.
-   You should join the reading club to spend your time.
-   You ought to go to wayang performance.
-   Why not hire a car?
-       That’s a good idea.
-       Oh, all right.
-       I’d love to.
-       Frankly I dont think it is.
-       Well, actually I don’t like him.
-       Well, to be quite honest, I am not very keen on reading.
-       Thanks for your suggestion, but I don’t understand the language.
-       Do you think we have money for that?

Expressing possibility/impossibility
Example of expressing possibility/impossibility :
1.    There is little chance of finding a good job in foreign countries.
2.    There is more chance of solving such serious problems, if we have a competent staff.
3.    There is a chance that the bank will lend me a sum of money.
4.    There is possibility that the students will win the English speech contest.
5.    There is a good chance to make marketing with e-mail.
6.    It is impossible to gain success without working hard.
expressing possibility:
-          My grandmother may travel alone.
-          Maybe she will make the trip alone.
-          Perhaps she will visit London.
-          Possibly, she will go by plane.
-          It’s possible that someone will meet her at the aero port.
-          She might buy some present for the family before she goes.
-          I suppose she might spend a lot of money on the presents.
-          There’s a chance she will like the city.
-          She will take an umbrella as it could rain heavily there.

expressing impossibility:
-          No, it’s impossible to repair that old chevrolet.
-          Even a good mechanic can’t possibly fix  it.
-          We may not be able to travel by car.
-          There’s no chance my father repairs it tomorrow


MODAL  + PERFECT
Modal +perfect is usually used to show the past event.
MODAL + HAVE + V3 / BEEN
1.   COULD + HAVE + V3 / BEEN
It used to express something that actually can happen in a past.
Example:
He could have eaten ice cream.        (He didn’t eat ice cream)
2.   MIGHT + HAVE + V3 / BEEN
It used to express possibility/ ppredict something happen in the past.
Example:
His room was so dirty, he might have forgotten to clean it.
3.   SHOULD + HAVE + V3 / BEEN
It used to express something that should happen in the past.
Example:
I should have gone to doctor this morning.          (I didn’t go to the doctor this morning)
4.   MUST + HAVE + V3 / BEEN
It used to express something logical happen in the past.
Example:
The grass is wet. It must have rained last night.



Expressing curiousity
-          What I’d really like to find out is...
-          How do you feel about...?
-          I’d be very interested to know...
-          What do you mean?
-          I’ve been meaning to ask you.
-          What is your opinion about...?
-          I’d like to know...
-          What is your idea to see...?
-          I wish I knew...
-          I’d love to know...
-          What about...?
-          What’s on your mind?
-          How about...?
-          I wonder...?
Expressing Opinion
a.    Asking for opinion
-       How do you feel about...?
-       What do you think about...?
-       What is your opinion about...?
-       What is your idea to see...?
-       What’s your opinion of...?
-       What about...?
-       What’s on your mind?

b.   Giving opinion
-       Well, in my opinion...
-       According to me...
-       I think...
-       I assume...
-       In my perspective...
-       I see that...
-       I’d just like to say...
-       From my point of view...
-       As far as I’m concerned...
-       Well, I must say...
-       My idea is...
-       I believe...
-       I feel...
-       I strongly believe that...
-       I absolutely agree with...
-       I am standing in a possition to support...
-       I disagree with...
-       That might be true, but I...
-       I am in opposition to...

No comments:

Post a Comment